If you manage a public-facing UC Berkeley-affiliated YouTube channel, you can opt into the UC Berkeley Multi-Channel YouTube Network.
IMPORTANT: The unit or channel owner is responsible for ensuring all videos published since December 2, 2022, have accurate captions and compliant color contrast. There is no financial support from the Digital Accessibility Program available for these videos.
Benefits of joining the UC Berkeley Multi-Channel YouTube Network
The Digital Accessibility Program will pay to caption:
- all (non-lecture) videos published on your channel between December 2, 2020 and December 2, 2022.
- all (non-lecture) videos published on your channel before December 2, 2020, with over 750 views.
Ultimately, it is your responsibility to ensure your content is accessible. However, by joining the UC Berkeley Multi-Channel YouTube Network, you are partnering with Berkeley IT’s Digital Accessibility Program and bConnected. We can offer you support and guidance and facilitate the use of accessibility services.
How to join the UC Berkeley Multi-Channel Network
Email email@example.com with your request to join. In your request, please include:
URL of the YouTube Channel.
Name and Email Address of the person who manages the YouTube account.
- Accept the invitation from YouTube to join the network. Please be patient; YouTube will deliver to the email account used to establish the YouTube channel in 2-4 weeks.
This invitation will state: “UC Berkeley has indicated that you have a business relationship with them that requires access to your account and allows them to manage your YouTube payments. If this is correct, you can make the change in YouTube Studio. If you think you’ve received this email in error, feel free to ignore it.”
Please know that this is a standard template from YouTube - we are unable to change the terminology or language of this request.
- Connect your YouTube account to the Digital Accessibility Program’s 3Play Media account. Once you accept the YouTube invitation, a DAP team member will reach out to schedule a call. In this call, we will connect your YouTube account to the DAP 3Play Media account. This connection will allow us to caption your pre-December 2022 YouTube videos.
Frequently asked questions
- Will you monetize my content? No. Absolutely not. It’s standard notification from YouTube and something we can not turn off.
- Will you make any changes to my channel content?
Not at all. The only update we will make is adding caption files to your eligible videos.
Will my videos be moved to a new account? No, your videos will stay on your account. There will be no change to your account videos, URL, or content.
- What will happen to my Channel after I join? On your end, it will look and function the same. The only change is that we have the permissions necessary to add captions to your YouTube videos.
- Do I have to join? No, you are not required to join the network. You are still required to ensure all of your videos posted between December 2, 2020, and December 2, 2022, and videos posted before December 2, 2020, with over 750 views, are accurately captioned by December 2, 2025.